Friday, August 14, 2009

Why do we fear death?

I have seen people suffer immeasurably just to hold off death for a minute longer. Clinging to life that isn't really life, trying to take one last breath. Going through any suffering, any measure of invasion of the body to grasp stubbornly to life. Why? Is death so fearsome that you would do anything to stave it off?

It's not death that is something to fear. Death is a rebirth into a different energy form. It is the manner of one's death that is to be feared. The smoker, drowning in his own secretions, starving for air; that is a manner of death worth fearing. The cancer patient, wracked with constant pain and nausea, becoming weaker and weaker and unable to care for himself; that manner of death is worth fearing. The person with liver failure that turns yellow, loses his mind from high ammonia levels in the blood, who swells like a feeding leech until his skin breaks and oozes; that's a manner of death worth fearing. The stroke patient, locked in a body that no longer works, unable to move, dying by inches; that is a manner of death worth fearing.

Choosing the time and way one will die is the greatest act of independence and defiance one can make. This is my choice. I am the one who will decide when enough is enough. Not some doctor or government entity. Not my family who may be guilt ridden and needing to keep me around for a little while longer. Not my family that may have hidden desires to see me suffer ultimately. My choice. My decision.

When it comes time for me to go, when I can no longer look forward to taking care of myself, supporting myself, being of some use to myself and others, that is when I will decide enough is enough. Each person must decide how they will die. For me, walking into the snow covered woods in the dead of winter, sitting down in the snow and slowly going to sleep from hypothermia, that's my desired way to go. Like the natives who would leave the tribe to sit, exposed to the elements until death came. This is a good way to go.

Many may feel that falling asleep after taking an overdose of medication is a good way to go. Some may go for more violent means with somewhat less chance of success. Whatever your decision for your manner of death is, it should be your decision. Just as choosing to stave off death at any cost should be your decision. And the only thing a doctor or bureaucrat should be able to do about it is help you on your way. If they can't abide by that morally then they should pass the duty on to someone who can.

If we have the right to life, we should also have the right to death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on or critique my posts. I love a good argument, but it better not be an incoherent tirade.